FEED THE HIPPO
Would you like to contribute an article to Bloated Hippo Magazine?
Our content is driven by amazing and unique voices, just like yours! We are open to submissions from everyone. You absolutely do not need to be a writer. Just interested in challenging perceptions. Let's collaborate!
max 1,200 words
max 20 total minutes of video
max 10 images (.png or .jpeg preferred)
unlimited URL links in the body of the email
safe & tested embed codes for additional web-exclusive content
BHM is an arts & lifestyle magazine focused on challenging perceptions. Challenging perceptions can include any voice that presents an alternative point of view or encourages and inspire others to think differently about a specific topic. We strive to post articles at least once a week that fall under these four categories: The Canvas (visual arts); The Stage (performance arts); The Screen (media arts); The Street (lifestyle). Be sure to read a few articles from the category you are interested in to get a general sense of content and tone.
BHM prides itself in being pop-up ad and filter free so we avoid censorship where we can, although we do reserve the right to not publish an article if it doesn't follow the following criteria:
- content should be original and include references or proof of authorized use for all non-original content
- highlight elements that challenge perceptions
- be clear and concise- avoid overly prosaic descriptions, long lists, or industry-specific lingo without a definition
- make a connection- talk TO the reader, not AT the reader
- have an organized article-like format and narrative structure (see forms and samples below)- don't sound like a blog
WHAT HAPPENS ONCE YOU SUBMIT?
- give us a week or two to review and respond (every valid submission will get a reply)
- all accepted articles are edited and finalized in collaboration with BHM over a reasonable period of time and depending on volume
- articles are posted only after the contributor/s approve and can be removed at anytime at their or BHM's discretion
- contributors enter into a non-paid casual cross-promotional agreement with BHM once an article is posted to promote or republish as they see fit
- the article may be selected for a limited print run issue and the contributor may be invited to a BHM sponsored event
READY TO SUBMIT?
It's easy. Just choose an article format from the below (1. Q&A Interview, 2. Multimedia Exhibition or 3. Personal Essay/Review ), fill it in, and SUBMIT! You don't have to be a writer. We'll help you edit and clean it up. Do you already have a completed draft in Word or Pages? Send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org